With 142 million instagram followers and an estimated net worth of $350 million, Kim Kardashian is one of the most influential and recognizable media personalities today. She began gaining media attention in 2007, the year when Keeping Up with the Kardashians first aired and when her infamous tape was leaked. Since then, she has launched several businesses and has appeared on countless magazine covers and TV shows.
She maintains her famous figure with a strict diet and exercise regime.
Weight Guestimate: 116 pounds
Height Guestimate: 5”2
BMI: 21.2 (Normal)
Favorite Health Food: Chinese Chicken Salad
Favorite Junk Food: Fast food, especially if it’s from McDonald’s
Personal Trainer: Melissa Alcantara
Diet Secret: Atkins Diet
Famous Diet or Food Tweet:
Last photo eating:
The Atkins diet was developed in the 1960s by cardiologist Robert C. Atkins. It involves slashing your carbohydrate (carbs) and sugar intake and increasing your consumption of fat- and protein-heavy foods.
The science behind the Atkins diet is simple. Our bodies use two different sources for energy: carbs and fat. Our bodies break down carbs by converting them into sugar, which we then use for fuel. However, if you decrease your consumption of carbs, your body runs out of sugar and it begins using both dietary and stored fat for energy. With its emphasis on fat-burning, the Atkins Diet is a popular choice for weight loss.
According to Elle magazine, Kim documented her weight loss journey on Snapchat, sharing images of her meals with followers. Although she was a paid brand ambassador for Atkins at the time, she has stated that she has successfully lost weight on the diet several times in the past, including when she was in college and following her previous pregnancy.
How She Actually Eats
On the Atkins diet, you can customize the number of net carbs you eat per day (popular choices are 20 grams, 40 grams, or 100 grams). Kim chose to follow the “Atkins 40” regime, which is recommended for those who are pregnant or breastfeeding. The foundation foods allowed on Atkins 40 diet include:
- Protein-heavy foods (such as meat, poultry, fish and eggs)
- Healthy fats (such as olive oil, avocados, dairy and nuts)
- Low-carb vegetables (such as asparagus, broccoli, celery, cucumber, green beans and peppers)
According to Harper’s Bazaar, Kim cleared all junk food – including guilty pleasures such as vanilla wafers, graham crackers and rice crispy treats – from her pantry.
As she approached her weight-loss goal, Kim began increasing her carb portion sizes. And while she claims to eat clean the majority of the time, she does indulge on occasion: “Fast food is [definitely] one of my guilty pleasures,” she told People magazine. “I go very rarely, but OMG I love it so much when I decide to indulge.”
Find more Atkins-approved recipes here.
From Atkins to Plant-Based
After achieving her goal weight, Kim no longer follows a strict Atkins diet. She recently stated on her instagram that she is now including more plant-based meals into her diet, and has been sharing the drool-worthy photos of her meals on her instagram stories. She has also stated on her instagram that “[she is] eating all plant-based when [she is] home.”
It’s not surprising that Kim follows a rigorous exercise regime alongside her healthy diet. She reportedly works out for an hour and a half six days a week. Her trainer, Mel Alcantara, has told Harper’s Bazaar that Kim is “super responsible, she never cancels—she’s the best client and athlete you could have.”
Alcantara has also said that 85 percent of Kim’s workout is dedicated to weight training, and the other 15 percent is dedicated to cardio.
What We Can Learn
Though Kim has her own personal trainer, nutritionist, and chef, the diet in and of itself is not unattainable for the average person. Atkins.com is a free resource, though you’ll have to pay for special products such as meal kits, bars, shakes, and treats. Kim’s journey also reminds us that our dietary needs can change over time. Don’t be afraid to listen to your body. It’s okay to try a new diet plan once you think you’ve reaped the benefits of the last one you tried!
From Around the Web
- Kim Kardashian West Shares Her ‘Get-Fit’ Grocery List—and It’s Quite Extensive (People)
- This Is What Happens When You Eat Like Kim Kardashian West for a Week (Byrde)
- ‘I Tried Kim Kardashian’s Diet for Two Weeks, and the Results Weren’t What I Expected’ (Marie Claire UK)
- This Is What Kim Kardashian’s 1800-Calorie Diet Looks Like (Elle)
- I Ate Like Kim Kardashian For A Month—This Is What Happened (The Zoe Report)
- Kim Kardashian Just Shared Her Favorite Atkins Meal on Instagram (Women’s Health Mag)
- Kim Kardashian Praises ‘Plant-Based Life’ On Social Media (Plant Based News)